One of the main principles of frugal grocery shopping entails purchasing items in bulk. Nonetheless, you are likely to lose all your savings if the food spoils before you have a chance to consume it. It is in such situations that a quality vacuum sealer comes in to save the day. In our search for the best vacuum sealer, we reviewed many current models and researched best practices that we’d love to share with you.
Also known as vacuum packers, these devices have become popular in recent years. They are affordable, keep food fresh for months, and can be used in sous vide cooking. When selecting a vacuum sealer, consider the following aspects.
- Design: you will need to choose between three primary models – the chamber, external and handheld vacuum sealers.
- The external sealer is the most prevalent and is mainly used for storing groceries and food leftovers.
- Chamber vacuum sealers are common in industrial applications and heavy-duty operations at home.
- Handheld food sealers, on the other hand, are easily portable and offer an excellent balance between convenience and performance. If you have limited storage space, the handheld vacuum sealer is a suitable option.
- Sealing Mechanism: you will also have to establish the quality of the heating bar and strength of the vacuum sealer. These features are the most crucial if you want your food sealed adequately.
- Accessories: it will also be prudent to check whether the sealer utilizes special bags. For instance, the FoodSaver vacuum sealers are only compatible with FoodSaver bags.
To help you select the best vacuum sealer, we have reviewed the top five vacuum sealers on the market.
Best Vacuum Sealer Overall: FoodSaver v4840 2-in-1 Vacuum Sealing System
One of the best inventions from FoodSaver, v4840, also happens to be the number one on our review list, and for a good reason. Firstly, it blends the functionality of a handheld and standard vacuum sealers. This way, your bags remain sealed tightly and accurately. Secondly, its sealing technology is entirely automated. All you have to do is feed this sealer with the open end of the bag, and it will do the rest. Once the sealing process is complete, it will shut itself off.
Features and Specifications
- V4840 comes with an all-inclusive starter kit, consisting of some 3-quart zipper bags, 2-gallon heat-seal bags, 3-quart heat-seal bags and 11 by 10-inch rolls.
- Equipped with 2-speed modes, allowing you to choose between moist and dry sealing
- Features an efficient 2-in-1 sealing system
- Comes with a pull-out and dishwasher safe drip tray
- Requires minimal cleaning and maintenance
- Seals vacuum bags efficiently
- Easy-to-use design
- Fast and economical
- Are designed to work exclusively with FoodSaver bags and rolls
- Not suitable to pack or store liquids
Budget-Friendly Pick: Nesco VS-02 Food Vacuum Sealing System
Nesco has become a well-known brand in the kitchen appliance industry. We chose Nesco VS-02 as the best vacuum sealer for the budget-conscious buyer. This appliance is entirely automated; meaning you can operate it with a simple click of a button.
- Powerful switch system- the switches have been upgraded to enable an extension of the sealing period for wet items
- Efficient sealing- the piston pump offers competent vacuuming; the food remains sealed in an air-tight bag; thus, reducing the likelihood of spoilage and waste
- Versatile- the Nesco VS-02 can be used to seal a range of foods, from meats to vegetables and fruits.
- Has a starter kit- package includes various pouches including two 8.66 by 9.8-inch rolls, five 8.66 by 11.8-inch bags and five 11 by 11.8 flat bags
- Easy one-touch operation
- Can handle big batches of foods
- Has a professional and polished look, making it a great addition to your kitchen
- Lacks some crucial accessories
- The drip tray is not detachable
- Slightly bulky- weighs seven pounds
Best for Commercial Use: Weston Pro-2300 Vacuum Sealer
While this vacuum sealer is among the priciest in our review, it is also one of the most durable models. More specifically, the Pro-2300 is designed to handle big sealing projects. With conventional sealers, you often have to wait for the appliance to cool down after sealing a few bags. It is not the case with the professional-grade Weston sealer, which is fitted with internal cooling fans to prevent it from overheating.
- Has the size and suction power of commercial vacuum sealing systems
- Features a large-sized Teflon bar for sealing bags that have a width of up to 15 inches
- Equipped with a fan to cool the powerful motor
- Has extra bright LED lighting to illuminate the sealing process
- Can operate in either manual or automatic sealing modes
- Angled vacuum chamber for preventing liquid messes
- Superior suction power
- Quality and sturdy design
- ETL certified
- Manufacturer provides one-year warranty
- Does not have an in-built bag cutter, making it inconvenient
- High price
Best for Heavy-Duty Usage: FoodSaver FM2000-FFP Vacuum Sealing System
This particular FoodSaver model is a favorite among many buyers. In some ways this is a more basic model that lacks fancy features. However, we selected it in our lineup for best vacuum sealer because many users prefer it. This FoodSaver allows users to seal uniquely shaped bags and helps to reduce the wastage of bags. Other vacuum sealers that hold rolls of bags and cut them can be big, bulky, and often waste inches of bag material. This model is much smaller and very efficient in bag usage. Also, this vacuum sealer comes with a detachable drip tray for holding all the leftovers; hence, keeping your unit clean.
- FM2000 vacuum sealer’s operation reduces bag wastage
- No need to purchase additional accessories for vacuum sealing as it comes with a complete package
- The removable tray and the sealer’s housing are made of highly-durable materials
- Stylish design featuring an intuitive control panel
- Money saving by minimizing the wastage of bags
- Hose accessories, making it the ideal starter kit
- Five-year limited warranty
- Lacks dry and moist food sealing options
- Speed is not adjustable
Best Suited for Home Use: Gourmia GVS435 - Stainless Steel Vacuum Sealer
This final model in our line up for best vacuum sealer is the Gourmia GVS435. It is one of the few vacuum sealers that are ETL certified. This appliance does an excellent job of storing and preserving fruits, vegetables and meats. It is a relatively basic preservation equipment, making it a perfect fit for individuals with simple needs.
- The Gourmia GVS435 is a particularly versatile sealer; it provides eight different ways to preserve food including vacuum & seal, pulse, manual seal, canister, gentle, moist, normal & dry.
- User-friendly operationg requires the touch of a single button.
- Automatic shut-off feature.
- LED indicator lights that show the control or functionality in use to guarantee a perfect outcome.
- Has a small and compact design
- Features moist and dry settings
- Vacuum speed settings
- Has no built-in roll or cutter